Jeera biscuits or jeera cookies are excellent tea time biscuits. It is sweet with a salted twist to the snack. Jeera or cumin is crushed and added to make theses biscuits which gives the aroma and flavour to the dish. Jeera biscuits are nostalgic and a favourite snack either for breakfast or evening tea.
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds (roasted, 1 tbsp)
- Maida/refined flour(1 & 1/4 cup)
- Salt (3/4 tsp)
- Softened butter (1/2 cup)
- Powdered sugar (2 tbsp)
- Milk to make the cookie dough
- Crush the jeera or cumin seed with a rolling pin on a flat surface. Do not powder or grind. The jeera should just be crushed lightly. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bow, add maida or refined flour, salt, roasted and crushed cumin seeds and mix the dry ingredients well. Keep it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add softened butter, and powdered sugar.
- Whisk them well to form a creamy texture of butter and powder sugar.
- Now add the dry ingredients to this creamy mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Sprinkle little by little milk into the mixture and mix well.
- Make it into a soft dough.
- Now pre-heat the oven at 180 degree Celcius for 10 mintues.
- Grease a baking tray or use a parchment paper for baking by lining on the baking tray.
- Now line a parchment paper on a flat surface. Take a small amount of dough and make ball of it. Press the dough on the parchment paper.
- Now, place another parchment paper on top of the rolled and pressed dough and press it. Now, with the help of a rolling pin, flatten it.
- Flatten it a little thick. Now with the help of a cookie cutter, give it shape.
- Place the cookies on a bake tray or parchment paper leaving some space in between.
- Bake it at 12 to 15 minutes at 180 degree celcius in a pre-heated oven.
- Now take the hot cookies and place it on a wire rack and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Jeera biscuits are now ready to be served with a hot cup of tea.